The winery is located on the now dry “north fork” of Putah Creek, on the southern city limits of Davis, California. The present day, flowing creek is about one mile to the south. Putah, according to California Place Names (Gudde, 1949), means “grassy creek” in native Miwok. Putah Creek commonly overtopped its banks in the days of pre-agricultural development, contributing to the deep, world-class soils that the Davis area is known for. “Davisville”, as the town was then called, made efforts to divert the creek away from the city in the late 1800's, essentially drying up the “north fork”, which is now central to the University of California Davis Arboretum, and is a beautiful backdrop to our winery, with abundant flora and fauna including rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, possums, fox, snakes, and a variety of birds.
Gene & Cathy Glaeser, founders of the winery, have owned and lived on their Davis ranch for over 20 years. For many of those years, they farmed rice, alfalfa hay, wheat, and sugar beets in Sutter and Sacramento counties, with Gene commuting daily to manage the farming operation, while at the same time developing the vineyards locally. In 2006, they decided to concentrate exclusively on the vineyards and no longer farm other crops. The first vineyards were planted in 1997, and three years later their first crops were sold to Napa and San Francisco bay area wineries, and to home winemakers. They were all pleased with the quality of wines that were made. Since 2004, Putah Creek Winery has been making outstanding wines releasing Chardonnay, Syrah, Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon, Viogner, and Tannat.